Saturday, July 2, 2011

T-Minus 60 Days and Counting: What I've Culled So Far

It's about 2 months out until the first trip and I've been creating my packing list since a month ago. Today I tried wearing and lugging some things for a leisurely 2.7 mile walk.

First to go was the Tom Bihn Large Cafe Bag. The shoulder bag deal just wasn't going to work well with 1/2 the tops I had planned. That subtracted about a pound.

Then the umbrella. Dumb, I put it on the list because I figured an umbrella could guard against the sun PLUS protect more than one person from the rain... Truth is, an umbrella is useless in wind and I'm sure I could find some sort of shelter from the elements fairly easily if need be. Another pound gone.

Lastly, the jeans. Unless I lose a great deal of thickness from my thighs in the next month or so, the jeans I had picked out (the lightest, thinnest pair of the ones I prefer) are just going to be uncomfortable for travel purposes. One more pound culled from the list.

Total culled today: 3 pounds.

Previously culled: Switched from Tom Bihn Aeronaut to Tom Bihn Western Flyer - weight savings 0.18 pounds. Not much, but points in the small form factor/ease of handling category.

Thinking of replacing the TB LCB with the TB Side Effect. Contents are likely to just be things like hand sanitizer and sunblock, so not worried about pilferage. That setup will cost me a little over half a pound, so total weight savings vs. LCB is just under half a pound.


Tom Bihn Side Effect in Sapphire

2 comments:

  1. Are you going to use the Side Effect as a shoulder bag or a fanny pack ? Would love to see the full packing list when you do get it culled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While its versatility means that I can use it as a shoulder bag on the days I wear tops that shoulder straps would work with, and as a fanny pack on the other days, I believe I'll be leaving the shoulder strap at home - too purse-like for me. Third and fourth options involve using the fanny pack straps differently: 1) slinging it cross-body like Pacsafe's Venturesafe 150 pack, or 2) shorten the straps to the fullest, and run them through a couple of belt loops.

    I shall post the full packing list shortly before departure!

    ReplyDelete